Friday, February 5, 2010

Today after scooping out the last of the coffee wedged between the crevices of the plastic Starbucks bag, I knew that I would need more coffee before I sat down and attempted my next blog. Today I wanted to try something different, I wanted to do something physical and not spend any money. As I took the empty bag and placed it back in the cabinet on top of all of the other empty Starbuck bags, I knew my next mission.

I was saving these bags now since the summer because they had the coupon printed in the corner describing an opportunity to receive a free tall Starbucks coffee. I always thought that one day I would use these and today I was inspired to redeem. So I bundled up for the outside temperature of about 22 degrees and headed out for my walk for a free coffee.

It took me about 15 minutes to arrive at the ¾ mile location. When I got there, I was greeted with the friendly hello, how can I help you this morning. So I proudly took my empty bag out of my coat pocket, not knowing how much of the actual bag was needed to validate a free coffee, and the barista just looked at me and said, “Oh!” I guess that was better than “Oh, Oh, or Oh no,” but I questioned her anyway, “Is there a problem?” The barista, now frowning, said “no, I guess we have to take these, but it’s a shame because we don’t even sell these bags at this location.” I smiled back and said, “But you do receive credit for these from the corporation, don’t you?” Her reply indicated yes, but her face gave me the impression that the reimbursement may be a burden. I cheerfully said, “Well I really have a lot of these at home and plan to use them, so I guess you may be seeing a lot of me in the future.” I didn’t want to spoil the rest of her day, so I didn’t give her the details of my plan to arrive every morning for the next two weeks and expect a handout, but she’ll find out soon enough!

As I arrived back home about 30 minutes later, I realized that this can be the beginning of a great workout program. 10,000 steps and a free coffee! Can’t beat that! This is day one of my Starbucks fitness program. I am planning to walk to my local Starbucks everyday for the next two weeks and lay down my coupon from the empty coffee bags that I have collected over the past few months. The coupons are found on the top outside of the bag near the expiration date. The coupon states it is good for a one free tall coffee drink. After two weeks of the program, I hope to report the following information a weight loss, an increase of physical endurance, and list of possible complaints regarding my attempts to receive my tall Starbucks flavored a’la gratis.

Have a great day!

3 comments:

  1. I just stumbled across your blog and I love it! I too am a fan of Starbucks and Tom Hanks. Keep up the great writing and I look forward to reading your future posts.

    -Franklin

    ReplyDelete
  2. So now that it is 10+ days since you started, have you completed your mission? Or are the coupons stacking up faster than you can use them? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I liked this blog post. Nothing like a surly barista to take the joy out of receiving a free coffee!! I don't get her comment about "not selling" those bags there. It doesn't make any difference! Good luck on the rest of the Starbucks mission!
    -Jackie

    ReplyDelete